Do's & Don'ts of Search Engine Optimization
We go to great lengths to make sure the websites we build are SEO friendly and help our clients get as far up the rankings as they can. Here's a quick list of things you can do to help:
- Have content people want to find. If it's quality content that's new and interesting more people will be looking for you.
- Advertise on social networks, and get people to link to you on their walls and sites. A single respected reference can cause a lot of gain in SEO.
- Have a target market, who do you want to reach, and what are they looking for? Perform keyword research and find what keywords and phrases you should use.
- Tailor your content for these people, but don't just stuff your content with it and make it unreadable.
- Use hidden content or black hat techniques as they'll get you lower rankings or worse.
- Change domain names, the longer you've had it and had that sort of content the more reputable you are.
There's a lot of things you can do in the way you build your web page that can help your SEO really take off as well, here's a list of things that your developer can do:
- Include meta descriptions and keywords that search engines read.
- Include a title tag for the page that is relevant.
- Use header tags on the titles.
- Make sure your site is fast, they doc for slow sites.
- Keep your URLs short and relevant.
- Submit your sitemap to google / bing.
- Include RDF and microdata in your website to give search engines context around your content.
- Use google analytics or similar to analyze your traffic.
If you're a drupal user like many of our clients, then here's a list of modules you may want to look at: