We go to great lengths to make sure the websites we build are SEO friendly and help our clients get as far up the rankings as they can. Here's a quick list of things you can do to help:
- Have content people want to find. If it's quality content that's new and interesting more people will be looking for you.
- Advertise on social networks, and get people to link to you on their walls and sites. A single respected reference can cause a lot of gain in SEO.
- Have a target market, who do you want to reach, and what are they looking for? Perform keyword research and find what keywords and phrases you should use.
- Tailor your content for these people, but don't just stuff your content with it and make it unreadable.
- Use hidden content or black hat techniques as they'll get you lower rankings or worse.
- Change domain names, the longer you've had it and had that sort of content the more reputable you are.
There's a lot of things you can do in the way you build your web page that can help your SEO really take off as well, here's a list of things that your developer can do:
- Include meta descriptions and keywords that search engines read.
- Include a title tag for the page that is relevant.
- Use header tags on the titles.
- Make sure your site is fast, they doc for slow sites.
- Keep your URLs short and relevant.
- Submit your sitemap to google / bing.
- Include RDF and microdata in your website to give search engines context around your content.
- Use google analytics or similar to analyze your traffic.
If you're a drupal user like many of our clients, then here's a list of modules you may want to look at: